Monday, February 19, 2007

Nickel Crypt at Mt Olivet oil *SOLD*


This was painted 9 years ago almost to the day. It was a cold day and a little windy so I finished it at home. As plein air goes, I am not hard core. Mt Olivet Cemetery in Nashville is a pretty cool place as graveyards go. Lot's of interesting monuments and sculpture. One guy's tomb looks like Napoleon's. Another is all done up like a Greek temple. The old Nashville City Cemetery is interesting as well. I have done a few pencil sketches there.

7 comments:

BoneDaddy said...

Wow, this is incredible. I love the way the tomb looks, let alone the way you did it.

William K. Moore said...

Now this is my kind of painting! Ok now I'm a fan. This reminds me the clock is ticking on this egg timer of a life... better kick it into gear. The grays and atmospheric values make this one fine piece - mood excellent! This reminds me of a pulp illustration -and I hope you don't take offense. Cover artists like Kinstler and Robert McGinnis are icons for me.

Chris Ousley said...

Grimm, whn I posted this I had you in mind.

WK, I love Kinstler and McGinnis. The pulp illustrators really had it going. I got to meet Kinstler last year and we talked Leyendecker.

naquaiya said...

I just love this. Do more and you are on your way!

William K. Moore said...

Only four posts! I'm pissed man.. you deserve five and beyond! Hey people we got an artist over here!! Seriously Chris had to come back for another peek. This work is the real deal my friend.

Chris Ousley said...

Thanks. Well, since December I finally got over the 1000 hit mark yesterday on my counter. Oh boy! I have to head back over the that cemetery again with my sketch pad soon.

Stefan Nuetzel said...

I have to agree with the others, this is a great painting. The looseness of brushwork and the overall mood. And William forced me to write a comment. ;-)